David Gareji- Monastery complex
Explore David Gareja is a rock-hewn Georgian Orthodox monastery complex of the 6th century
Departures: Daily 10:00 h
Mobile Ticket Accepted
Support call: + 995 514 21 77 22
- Our tour to David Gareja monastery complex offers you an opportunity to visit a rock-hewn Georgian Orthodox monastery complex located on the half-desert slopes of Mount Gareja dating back to 6th century.
- One of the most ancient and extraordinary monasteries in the world – David-Gareji monastery complex is located on the Georgian-Azerbaijani border, 70 km from Tbilisi. David-Gareji is dated to the VI century. The history of the monastery keeps many secrets, ups and downs, and exciting moments that have had a significant impact on the history and life of Georgia.
- We will visit:
- David Gareja -monastery complex founded in the 6th century by St. David Garejeli, one of the thirteen Assyrian monks who arrived in the country at the same time. Despite the harsh environment, the monastery remained an important centre of religious and cultural activity for many centuries. The complex includes hundreds of cells, churches, chapels, refectories and living quarters hollowed out of the rock face. The monastery remains active today and serves as a popular destination of tourism and pilgrimage. The monastery is of great historical value due to unique frescoes depicting scenes from the life of St. David, as well as portraits of Georgian kings and politicians of the Middle Ages. The walls of most caves also contain traces of frescoes; some of them are completely preserved and almost untouched. In the Middle Ages, the Garedji desert with its cave monasteries served as one of the most important monastic and pilgrim centres of Georgia. It was truly a royal monastery, literally and figuratively.
- David Gareja -monastery complex
- Explore more of Georgia while still keeping Tbilisi as your base
- Save time and money: Visit multiple sightes in a single day trip with group
- Get insights into Georgian history and culture from your guide
- Departs and returns to a central meeting point in Tbilisi
- Entrance tickets to museums, parks, botanical gardens, caves - not included in tour.
- Free cancellation up to 2 days to tour departure.
- One day before departure tour, amount is not refundable
- The company reserves the right to change date, time, directions of tour - if ticket was booked less than 12 hours before departure tour